Sunday, April 21, 2013

Steeplechase

My husband and I went on a trip this weekend for our first anniversary. We began the weekend by attending the annual Block House Steeplechase horse races in Tryon, NC. Naturally I seized the opportunity to dress in a 1940's look, complete with  a vintage hat!  



My husband looked pretty dapper(:

The Steeplechase races are an all-day event: before the actual horse races there was a hat contest, parade of hounds, horse carriage display, and a release of 67 doves(for the 67th year of this race). Everybody packs a lunch and tailgates- some people REALLY get in to it, bringing fine china and crystal, tents, and their dogs! 

The horse races began in mid-afternoon and boy were they exciting! The crowds were so enthusiastic, cheering for their favorites. One of the horses fell twice(which I hated watching!!!) and struggled to get up. When it finally got up the crowds went crazy, cheering and clapping. I'm not sure if I will be attending any more races- I really don't like supporting a sport that can injure animals (any thoughts? please leave me a comment). Thankfully, none were injured this time, and it really was an amazing event to be a part of!



There was even a stick horse race for children and adult(which was quite amusing) and a pony race...


No comments:

Post a Comment