Monday, April 13, 2015

Vintage Q and A: Cleaning Vintage Clothing

I hope you all enjoyed my first post in this new Question and Answer series! Today I am going to cover another topic regarding vintage: how to clean vintage clothing. Vintage clothing does require more care than modern clothing...after all, vintage items are 50+ years old! So,

How do you clean vintage clothing?

Some garments are dry clean only, no matter what the age. 40s rayon dresses, silk, and some other fabrics should not be submerged in water. It is VERY important when dry cleaning vintage to find a good dry cleaners that specializes in cleaning vintage. Dry cleaning is very harsh and older fabrics are more susceptible to deterioration. If you live locally in Greenville, you can use Lafayette Cleaners on Augusta Rd. They handle all my vintage and do a fantastic job. If you live elsewhere, ask around. Call beforehand and ask if they are familiar with cleaning vintage.

How dreamy is this 40s rayon dress from Dethrose Vintage?



You can dry clean some things at home using a Dryel home drycleaning kit. They are very easy to use-you basically put a dryer sheet in a bag with your clothes and tumble dry. I have one but have not been able to test it yet because our dryer is broken at the moment(sigh...). These kits can be found at Target in the laundry section and only cost $7. However these kits cannot be used on rayon and I would not use them with super delicate items like this late 50s jacket(also for sale in my shop!) because of the buttons.



Ironing vs steaming: Ironing produces better creases in collars and hems and overall a much smoother garment, but can be harsh especially on delicate fabrics. After snagging a 60s bed jacket with my iron I bought a hand steamer and use it on all my vintage now. Hand steamers are relatively cheap- mine was about $40 and it is super easy to use.

Here are some era specific care instructions for washable vintage:

1. Vintage from the mid 70s-90s: this is the youngest category of vintage and the easiest to care for. I always hand wash vintage to give it a longer lifespan but most items from the 70s and later have machine washing instructions on the tags. If you choose to hand wash, soak items in a tub full of cool water and a gentle detergent(I use dish soap!). Thoroughly rinse the garment (soap can deteriorate fabric over time if not rinsed out completely) and GENTLY press water out of the garment. Lay flat to dry.  I NEVER dry vintage items in the dryer. Always air dry. Be sure to check the label before washing! Just like modern clothing, some items are dry clean only.

This late 60s/early 70s dress is for sale in my shop! Easy to hand wash and it needed no pressing(thanks polyester!)


2. Vintage from the late 30s-60s: these items are more delicate and require gentle handling. Most garments from these decades have metal hardware: metal zippers, snaps, buttons etc. These sometimes rust easily when submerged in water and leave horrible rust stains. Now, when I first began collecting and cleaning vintage I found a beautiful 1940s wedding gown that had been destroyed with rust stains. I painstakingly removed the zipper, about 20 covered buttons, snaps and hooks before soaking it. Even after several 8 hour soaks the stains are not completely gone. This being said, you CAN wash vintage with metal hardware! Before you do, take a look at the zipper: are there traces of rust? DON'T wash it without removing the zipper first or just have it dry cleaned. If the metal hardware looks ok, soak it in cool water but keep an eye on it. I never soak more than 15 minutes. Hand wash and dry in the same manner as in #1.

This cute mod 60s romper has a metal zipper..it was the first item with a metal zip that I hand washed and I was terrified...but it came out fine!



3. Vintage from the early 30s and earlier: these items are very fragile and should be worn very carefully. Cleaning should be done by a professional.

One more quick tip! If you are buying a vintage garment, whether on Etsy or from a local store, ask if it has been cleaned! Often garments look fine when purchased but if they have not been cleaned you may be in for an unpleasant surprise such as color bleeding (even when washed in cold water) or holes in the fabric when you receive something back from the dry cleaners.

I hope this has been helpful! Leave me a comment if you have any specific questions about cleaning that I didn't cover. Next time I will be covering sizing/ measurements!

xxx
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment