Friday, June 20, 2014

Secret Garden

I've wanted an herb garden since we bought our house last summer but hadn't felt motivated enough to actually plant one. I've tried keeping herbs in pots in the house but they always end up dying. One of my friends gave me a mint plant this week and I finally decided to clear a patch in the yard and start a real herb garden. Here is the spot that I chose:

This bed was full of weeds and several inches of dried leaves so I spend several hours clearing and bagging it all up. I was pleasantly surprised to find a raised bed with a rock border under all that junk, which was what I was planning on doing anyways! 

I pulled up almost everything in the bed but there were a few pretty shade loving plants that I kept like this one:


I planted mint, dill, cilantro, thyme, parsley and basil. I'd love to hear what your favorite herbs are! I'd also like to add more plants to the rock crevices...any suggestions? 


2 comments:

  1. how about lavender? it's so pretty and you can use it for scented sachets and awesome baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lavender! Thanks for the suggestion I'll definitely add some.

    ReplyDelete