Thursday, June 19, 2014

Coconut Mojito Cake

A few days ago I participated in an Instagram event called #recipesfromtheattic. The concept was created and hosted by a fellow vintage enthusiast. What you do is sign up via email address and you are mailed as vintage recipe card; on a set day everyone bakes their recipe and posts about it on Instagram. It's a really fun way to interact with others who share love of vintage! If you want to join in next time follow @atticseventeen. My recipe was Coconut Cake and I threw in a Caribbean twist and made it a Coconut Mojito cake. I had some requests for the recipe so I thought I'd share.



Cake:

Duncan Hines Butter Cake Mix
*optional: substitute half or all of the water called for with rum
Prepare cake according to box.(I used two round nine-inch pans). Cool and slice each in half.

Filling:

1 pt sour cream
1 c. sugar
12 oz coconut flakes
Zest of 3 limes
Large handful of mint leaves, finely chopped

Mix ingredients together and chill overnight.

Topping:

16 oz. whipping cream(you could use a smaller amount but it is nice to have left-over whipped cream for coffee)
Powdered sugar to taste ( I eyed it but I think it was about 1/3 c)
One shot of rum(or more to taste!)

Whip ingredients  until it turns into whipped cream(I'm sure there's a fancier way of saying that!).
Mix one cup of the whipped cream with one cup of the prepared filling mixture.

Spread filling between each layer of cake and frost entire cake with the topping. Garnish with lime and mint leaves if desired.

2 comments:

  1. oh this sounds delicious! I will be trying it eventually.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely adding this to my to do list! Coconut and Mojito are two of my favorite things EVER
    x

    ReplyDelete