Thursday, April 30, 2015

Vintage Q and A: Mixing Vintage and Modern

Here is part 4 of my Vintage Q and A series! I had a few people ask me how/if you can mix vintage and modern together in one outfit. The answer(in my opinion) is: Absolutely!!!

There are many ways to wear vintage- some people prefer an authentic head to toe look of vintage from a specific decade, others mix and match different vintage decades together, and some mix vintage and modern pieces together.

How fun is this vintage look from The Dress Fiend, modernized with an assymmetrical turtleneck? Check out her blog for more inspiring ways to wear vintage in a modern way!


I love creating a vintage head to toe look on occasion! For a modern girl's day to day life however, wearing all vintage can be a little impractical and can easily read too "costume". I have days where I feel very confident and don't really care if people are wondering why is she so overdressed and other days where I really just want to blend into the crowd a little. So, how do you blend vintage and modern together?

1. Choose either a vintage dress OR a few vintage accessories. If you are wearing a vintage dress, wear modern accessories and vice versa.

In this outfit I paired a modern, vintage inspired top and high waist pants with an early 60s handbag.



2. If you choose a vintage purse, hat, or jewelry for your look, find a modern dress that is vintage inspired (such as a 50s inspired high waist dress with a gathered skirt...a top of the knee hem length will keep the look more modern).

Here I paired a vintage hat with a modern dress I made from a 40s pattern- I changed the hem from below the knee to above the knee to modernize it a little.


3. If you choose a vintage dress go for some modern accessories. If you aren't sure what accessories "go" with a vintage dress don't worry about it! Just choose something that you like. It's easy to over think what "should" go with vintage but there really are no rules!

4. A lot of vintage dresses have details, details, details. Choosing neutral, simplistic accessories will keep the outfit modern.

Don't forget you can visit CarlaSue Vintage for your vintage wardrobe needs hehe...

I hope this has been helpful! I'm hosting another vintage shopping party in June! Hope to see you all there. I am planning on having a short Q and A session at the party and may do a 'styling' session as well where I show you three different ways to style a vintage dress. What do you think? Yay or Nay?

xxxSarah

No comments:

Post a Comment