Sunday, April 12, 2015

Vintage Q and A: Incorporating Vintage into a Modern Wardrobe

I've decided to start a new Question and Answer series on the blog about vintage fashion! I've received several wonderful questions regarding vintage and I will try to address them here. Today's topic is incorporating vintage into a modern wardrobe. Some of you may have interest in vintage clothing but don't know how to incorporate it into your existing wardrobe without cleaning out your closet entirely and starting over. Hopefully I can give you all a few tips to get you started!

There are a few vintage basics that can easily be incorporated into your wardrobe:

1. A basic cardigan or jacket.

Take a look in your closet and figure out whether you own more full skirts/ dresses or slim, tailored skirts, dresses and pants. A classic, simple 50s cardigan will complement a skirt with a lot of volume whereas a 30s/40s sweater or jacket will add some volume to a pair of straight cut trousers or a-line skirt. Of course, there are always exceptions! A long cardigan can be belted when worn with a full skirt for a flattering sillouette. Try different things until you find what suits you best.

How about this fabulous 40s sweater? I wish I could see the rest of her outfit..pretty sure it's a pair of menswear inspired trousers or an a-line skirt.


The yellow cropped box jacket in this 50s ad pairs perfectly with the full skirted dress underneath.



Also determine whether your closet contains mostly bright colors and patterns or neutrals and solids. If you own a lot of colored/patterned garments buy a sweater in a neutral like grey or cream; if you already have a lot of neutral dresses and skirts try to find a sweater in a fun color or print.

I recently purchased a beautiful late 30s cardigan to wear for my anniversary. Late thirties/forties styles emphasized the shoulders. To balance the fullness of the shoulders of this cardigan I paired it with a long, slender thirties inspired dress. I tried pairing this cardigan with a full skirted dress with a high neckline from the early 60s and it didn't look right! Always think about balancing the amount of volume on the top half and bottom half of your outfit.



2. A fun vintage dress.

The wonderful thing about vintage dresses is that they have so many beautiful details! You won't need to accessorize much with a vintage dress if you want a balanced vintage/modern look.

Betty Barclay is one of my favorite early 60s labels! No need to over accessorize with one of these dresses. I would wear one of these with a simple pair of neutral heels.



3. A high waist skirt in a neutral color (or a high waist pair of shorts/jeans).

High waist skirts are universally flattering! If you have larger hips(like me) opt for a fuller skirt. I've found that high waist skirts pair well with almost any modern style top. High waist bottoms also work really well with crop tops. I know 'crop top' can sound scandalously immodest but when paired with high waist bottoms you only see a peek of skin.

This is a darling modern interpretation of vintage found on Wanelo


I made myself the pair of high waist jeans below and they are perfect paired with 40s style sweaters and button down shirts tied at the waist. You can find vintage high waist 50s jeans or buy reproduction ones from Freddies of Pinewood (where I bought the repro 40s sweater shown!)


4. A vintage accessory: You can instantly add vintage flair to a modern outfit with a vintage purse, hat, or jewelry.

Neutral accessories are a good investment. I own a black patent 60s clutch and I use it all the time. Vintage gloves are classic and never out of style, and I find the same to be true of vintage jewelry. I have so many beautiful pieces of jewelry from my grandmother and I wear them with everything! (another blog post? hmmm...) A simple modern dress is the perfect backdrop to show off a stunning brooch or necklace.

It can be overwhelming to shop vintage with so many choices! When you go vintage shopping I suggest either

a) have a plan and stick to it! Write down your shopping goals before you leave the house. If you find a cardigan that you thing will work with a dress you have at home but aren't sure try to find a similar style dress in the store to try on with it.

 OR
b) browse with nothing in mind at all and just pick out what speaks to you! If you absolutely LOVE a vintage 50s novelty print skirt with toucans on it but have absolutely no idea what you will wear it with, get it anyways! You will find a top that goes with it later.

I have found Forever21 an excellent place to find cheap cropped t-shirts and tank tops that pair well with vintage high waist bottoms!

I hope this has been helpful! Leave me a comment if you would like more information or have specific questions about this post. I hope this post hasn't been too lengthy!

xxx

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment