Saturday, October 25, 2014

Fall in DC Day 2

For our second day in DC we attended the annual White House Fall Garden Tour. It was so beautiful, and I was such a tourist, but I was so thrilled to be that close to the White House!






The United States Marine Band was playing on the grounds during our visit.



The White House Kitchen Garden...they even have their own beehive!


After lunch we visited the Smithsonian Institute. I saw so many wonderful things, but my favorite had to be the First Lady gown exhibit at the American History Museum, where I saw state dinner and other formal gowns that Jackie Kennedy, Dolly Madison, and other president wives wore! I was also thrilled to see a few Bette Davis costumes and Dorothy's ruby red slippers from the Wizard of Oz.



This is the dome in the National Gallery of Art....favorites I saw here included a Picasso, Matisse, and a portrait of Marie Antoinette by Elizabeth Vigee-Lebrun.




No comments:

Post a Comment