Sunday, February 24, 2013

From Hideous to Haute Part 1

I love going on thrifting adventures...the other day I was at Goodwill just browsing, when a very unusual chair caught my eye. I looked at it and thought to myself, that is one of the most hideous things I have ever seen. But I kept on looking at it...and then I started thinking to myself that maybe it had some potential for a makeover. What will your husband say if you come home with this monstrosity? I thought. I almost passed over it. But it just seemed to be staring at me forlornly,  as if resigned to its fate. So, I picked it up, gave it one more good long gaze, and proudly dragged it up to the checkout counter.


































Isn't it hideous? The plastic cover was cracked, and the seat cushion had some water damage. After  unwrapping it, a closer inspection revealed yet another charming feature- the chair had been broken in half! And screwed back together....they didn't even bother to line it up properly or use wood glue.

 My next step was to disassemble the upholstery. I began with the cushion; this is what remained after a lot of cutting, ripping, and staple pulling. I threw away the foam cushion because it was disintegrating. All  I kept was the wood base.


The next step was my favorite part so far. I maybe had a little too much fun attacking the seat back with a pair of scissors.

The foam inside the seat back was so deteriorated that it looked like red clay. I almost thought that a mud dauber had built a nest inside the chair. It didn't help when my brother told me that he hoped I didn't catch typhoid.



This is what it looks like now! I'm ready to repaint and reupholster and can't wait to see the end product....stay tuned for the reveal in part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment